Wednesday, September 14, 2005

"What Does A Man Mean?" Join the group!

So it is Wednesday and I am at RMIT, sitting in the main cafeteria with a few pamphlets around me, my laptop happily wireless, the hum of activity as students and staff come and go. I feel shy, conspicuous, and surprisingly happy.

I am wondering about a men’s film series here. Maybe Fight Club, Brother, Where Art Thou? The Blues Brothers, plus a few others, as a way to get some men into the support group that Julian Mc Nally, a guy from counselling, and I are facilitating together.

The facts are that men have more problems with suicide, depression, loneliness, suicide, substance abuse, then women do. And, I think, part of that is simply because we don’t talk about it. I was in my late twenties before I found some friends who I could trust enough to share deeply about my own constellations of concerns about family, work, worth, relationships, to say nothing of sex, drugs and rock and roll,

Tennessee Williams writes somewhere, “In a world so full of lonely people, it would be an unforgivable sin to be lonely by yourself.” If you are a man studying at RMIT and want to be part of a good men's group, come by the office (under Sacred Space) Wednesdays at 4:00PM. As we say on the flier, "You are welcome to come and listen, talk and share as you like, meet others and leave when you want, all is less than an hour, guaranteed!"

No comments: